Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Philippine Escargot

I grew up in our farm in Mindoro where exotic foods are just hanging around. And I am really familiar with some exotic foods our farm could have and what my grandfather can provide, 'coz our place is far from the town proper for us to buy food stuffs everytime I salivate from the foods a child usually eat. Aside from the typical foods like bananas or camote a rural area has, what I really miss is my favorite ginataang kuhol (escargot or brown snails) by my grandma. Everytime I am going to visit Kamayan in Glorietta with my office mates, I always zeroed in on a plate of ginataang kuhol. I've got to have several pieces of toothpick 'coz I always break it as I find myself really excited picking out what is inside the brown shell.








Ahh, for me not to set schedule to go to Kamayan or Cabalen anymore. I've looked for the recipe so I can do it at home and I will share it with you.

Ingredients:
2-3 cups of brown snails (kuhol)
1 garlic head
1 tbsp. ginger
3 pcs. siling labuyo (or bird’s eye pepper)
2 cups of gata or coconut milk (2 coconuts are equivalent to 2 cups of gata)
pinch of salt
Procedure:
1. Soak kuhol in water for 2-3 hours.
2. After, wash and drain well.
3. Break tail-end of snails (simply by tapping with the handle of a knife).
4. Wash again and drain then set aside.
5. In a pan, sauté garlic and ginger, add a little patis or fish sauce.
6. Pour coconut milk and bring to a boil.
7. Let simmer for about 15 minutes then add the snails.
8. Season with salt.
9. Add in the pepper last and leave for 10 more minutes.
10. Serve hot with white rice.
** Optional: Add chopped spring onions for some color.

No comments:

Post a Comment